There are some staggering statistics and facts about motorists in terms of tyre checks, tyres and worn tyres that are on the road. We hope that from the various articles that we have written in the past – you are familiar with the importance of tyre checks as well as purchasing tyres from reputable dealers. However, there are many motorists who are unsure about checking their tyres or who may be using substandard used tyres. It’s highly important that tyre checks are at the top of motorists’ priorities – as tyres are the main thing separating their car from the road.
At Autocentres Ltd, we are one of the leading providers of tyres in Newport. We are also committed to ensuring that motorists are aware of the risks of used tyres as well as not carrying out tyre checks. This is why we offer high-quality tyres at great prices as well as provide tyre checks free of charge to visitors of our purpose-built car & tyre garages. If you have any questions or concerns about your tyres, want to arrange for a free tyre check or want to find out more then get in touch with our local team today by using an online contact form on our website or telephone now.
What are the Statistics About Tyres and Tyre Checks
A staggering 1/5 motorists in the UK do not know how to carry out tyre checks or do not regularly test their tyres. We recommend checks every 1-2 weeks.
That’s actually a huge amount when you consider how many motorists there are in the UK so this is why it’s so important to get into a tyre checking routine. As a general rule of thumb:
Check for the following:
- Visible damage such as cuts or punctures.
- Check for foreign objects such as embedded glass or nails.
- Check the tread depth isn’t worn below 1.6mm (legal) / 3mm (recommended replacement)
- Visual inspection of the tyre walls.
- Checking the tyres for bulges.
To make matters even more concerning, in 2017 there were an estimated 10m illegal tyres on UK roads which were 1 in 4 cars, leading to 1000 deaths per year. This is mainly due to not carrying out checks but this was also due to substandard used tyres being sold and fitted to vehicles. This highlights the need to carry out checks of tyres as well as honestly avoiding used tyres completely. It’s very rare that you are going to be able to carry out all of the visual inspections that are needed when purchasing used tyres. But what are the other risks of using used tyres and this is why we would always suggest getting new budget or sem-premium tyres then going for used tyres.
The Dangers of Used Tyres
One of the biggest risks associated with using used tyres is the damage to the tyre wall which can often be highly difficult to see with the naked eye. It’s even highly difficult to identify issues that cannot be seen within the tyre wall and the vast majority of the time – they aren’t checked for internal damage before being sold. It completely depends on the provider of these used tyres and there have been various instances of rogue traders in which tyres are barely tested for purpose and some even have damage that the retailer has attempted to hide! This is scary to think about where the only thing that is keeping motorists separated from the road is their tyres and a blowout could easily happen at high speeds.
- If you end up purchasing used tyres – never buy them unless the person selling them allows you to do all of the visual checks. We still recommend that you do not purchase used tyres. You can’t see the internal tyre wall and new budget tyres will be far safer as they are new directly from the manufacturer – they have never been on the road and will therefore be safer.
- The main reason that people purchase used tyres is that they cannot afford to pay premium prices. However, there are some fantastic budget tyres that are available at great prices. They can compete with used tyres and will usually be at a similar price point to the used tyres on offer. The added benefit is that you have that added layer of security.
- Why put your family at risk over a slight benefit in terms of price? There are some great manufacturers of budget tyres on the market. This is a great consideration to make if you find that replacing your tyres is too expensive.
- Regular tyre checks are of the utmost importance. Just a regular check once every week or once every two weeks can keep you safe on the road and lets you know when your tyre needs to be replaced. You don’t want to risk a blowout on the road and this will keep you safe and let you know when you need a new set of tyres.
- Always get tyres replaced in twos on the axle unless the other tyre has been replaced recently. This ensures even tread wear on both tyres and ensures that both tyres are driving evenly on the road.
At Autocentres Ltd, we are one of the leading providers of tyres in Newport & tyres in Cwmbran. If you are looking for some of the best budget tyres on the market that will keep you safe when compared to used tyres that could be highly dangerous on the road.